- I want to compile this source file
- I want to link it together with these libraries into that executable.
- I want to use this compiler on my current platform
- Creating a "tool" or "component" that knows that, for instance, on the current platform the C compiler is called "gcc" and if the user wants a debuggable version, it needs to add the option "-g" to the command-line.
- The "tool" is driven by setting options:
createComponent mycc Linux gcc ;# C compiler of my choice on Linux mycc -source myfile.c -optimise fast mycc -defines "MYMACRO=1" -exec
- The tools are specified in a small database that is fairly easy to extend (the difficult part is retrieving all necessary options!)
escargo 5 Mar 2003 - How does this compare to bras?AM Simple: bras is meant to replace the make utility - the package I am talking about attempts to hide the details of the compiler and linker and other tools used. Hence it could be used by bras in the actual building process