- Let us change our traditional attitude to the construction of programs: Instead of imagining that our main task is to instruct a computer what to do, let us concentrate rather on explaining to human beings what we want a computer to do.
- Donald E. Knuth, "Literate Programming (1984)" in Literate Programming. CSLI, 1992, pg. 99
Literate Programming Systems In Tcl edit
- docstrip and tclldoc
- The Simple Library
- framework to support nearly literate programming doc
- Holon - a simple programming system
- written in Tcl, similar in some ways to Leo, code is stored in a database
Other Literate Programming Systems edit
- written in Python, formerly using Tkinter, now using PyQT, provides a GUI for organizing, navigating, and weaving the code and documentation of a project.
- IPython Notebook
- An interactive computational environment in which code executation, rich text, mathematics, plots, and rich media can be combined.
Documentation Extraction Systems For Tcl editSee Source Documentation Tools
Discussion editAM: has some experience using Will Duquette's "expand" for the purpose of intermixing test code with explanatory descriptions. The idea was elegant (IMHO), but requires more elaboration. (Wondering if this will turn into pet project #53 or not ;)
[YOSIFOV]: New Tcl based, very small (StartPack) LP tool (not for WiKi, but for any programming language: generates flexible document and any number of source code files. Documentation/program (as usual in LP) is one file, like article, where programmer use special markup-commands, all other (references, TOC, index, so on) are generated automatically. Project home is here: http://code.google.com/p/tclp/