There are numerous layers to this problem:
- General issues GNU tools versus...
- Which of the various deployment file formats will be used?
- Where does the package get installed?
- What needs to be included in a distribution?
- Distributions containing script extensions
- Distributions containing executable script applications
- Distributions including binary only extensions
- Distributions including binary only applications
- Distributions including "to be compiled" source code extensions
- Distributions including "to be compiled" source code applications
- Distributions including documentation
- Distributions including application dependent files (files which need some other application installed to access them - Excel spreadsheets, Word documents, etc.)
- Distributions including other types of files (graphics, data, etc.)
Well friends - have a look at the topics above. I am certain that there will be some overlap between some of the topics. In those cases, feel free to spin off a seperate page to address the topic, leaving a link here to the discussion. See what is involved in creating a CD-ROM containing runnable Tcl/Tk scripts discussions for additional fodder - perhaps some of the info common to these two pages should itself be spun off into its own page as well.