14-Sep-2017: I'm a newcomer to TCL examining it as a possible platform for internal engineering tools.
The jury is still out. More later.
11-Oct-2017: The jury is in and despite first appearances, TCL has a large collection of tools, packages, information, and resources that makes it a great fit for engineering tools for industrial control (and probably many other fields as well).
- High level, stable language that's readable even when you didn't write the code.
- Single file executables that require no install.
- Command line and easily constructed GUI interfaces.
- Packages for integration with Windows and Excel.
- Existing packages to cover just about every aspect of engineering project work.
- A full set of development, debugging, testing, and documentation tools.
- A single, information packed wiki that captures years of experience with multiple approaches to solving the same problems.
Glad to have you aboard! I think Tcl's ease of integration with C also plays a part in it being used in commercial CAD tools, HyperMesh etc.