static syntax analysis
refers to debugging
that can be done via inspection of the code for a program, without actually running the program.
See Also edit
- static analyzers
- another list by Cameron Laird
- Are there tools which are required or would be useful when developing in Tcl
- Brace-level pretty printer
- Statically verifying arithmetic and regular expressions
- AM 2007-08-18: an idea to check such various Tcl "sublanguages" as the arithmetic and regular expressions
- Source Code Comprehension Tools
- an older list
Description editStatic syntax analysis
is the process of looking at a text file and attempting to identify errors, warnings, etc. from the text without executing the code. This is tricky to do in-depth because in an interpretive environment, programmers often make use of dynamic techniques for code generation, etc. These dynamic code fragments typically won't be evaluated during a static syntax sweep. Another short-coming, at least as far as procheck and frink go, is that they operate only on the source code specified on the command line. This means that calls to autoload
ed or source
d commands are treated as unknowns, unless the file in which they are defined was specified before
programmer will be familar with a program called lint
; this program provides static syntax analysis for C.
Analysing C edit
- open-source GUI frontent to source-code searching tools. Primarily designed to work with cscope, but also works with cs.
- logiscope c rulechecker
- a proprietary product that allows users to define and verify coding rules in Tcl
Analyzing Tcl edit
- source code formatter with syntax and style checking
- reads one or more Tcl scripts and checks them for correctness, conflicts and even a little style.
- includes a syntax checker for Tcl and XOTcl code
- has a program called tclchecker that does static syntax
- a component of TclPro
- a macro system that can be used as a programmable SSA tool.
- appears to do at least some sorts of SSA [Does SoftGuard deserve its own page in the Wiki? I think so. Anyone familar with it? The web page mentions sgxCP profiling, sgxCT tracing, sgxDbg procedure debugging, sgxRSM resource standard metrics, and sgxTVC variable consistency testing]
- Source Navigator
- code-analysis and comprehention tool that provides a graphic framework for understanding and re-engineering large or complex software projects
- bracecheck, by Andreas Leitgeb
- a "mostly heuristic script ... which compares bracing with indentation ..."
- syntax checker for Tcl, XOTcl, ITcl code with html generation